Friday, May 28, 2010

ASCA

I'm writing a lot tonight, but it seems there is a lot about which to write.

I have decided to attend the American School Counseling Association (ASCA) Conference in Boston. I had not planned to go because our granddaughter is coming with her Mom from WI and there seemed to be a conflict. However, they now are not arriving until July 5 or 6, which means I can go to Boston on July 1 - 5. ASCA is July 2 - 5. I have attended these conferences for several years and I always learn so much. I can't believe how excited I am about attending. I feel as though I am getting my "school counseling fix." This seems to be the area for which I have great passion and in which I believe. I KNOW school counselors have a "captive audience" in being able to work with all of the students in a school or schools. School counselors have the opportunity of being integrally involved with students, parents/guardians and school staff/administrators. They have the opportunity of advocating and of assisting underrepresented populations. In Livingston, the Chinese parents tended to be less visible than some of the other ethnic populations for a variety of reasons. We began holding meetings at their sites, with great success. The counselors and I were invited to a Chinese Mother's Day celebration where the Moms brought homemade foods and celebrated one another. We were given the opportunity of speaking about why we valued their increased participation in school events and we had some of the best Chinese food we had ever eaten! I was so happy to be a part of this and the relationships that were formed enhanced mutual trust.

At ASCA, I will be able to go to workshops, see people I know in the field, listen to speakers share some great research - and be in Boston. ASCA is expensive, but I think it will be worth it. There are some workshops related to "best practice" in school counseling, the implementation of the ASCA model, technology, and multicultural issues. If anyone in class also plans to attend, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment