Wednesday, June 2, 2010

2nd AA Meeting

On Monday night, I attended an AA meeting. I had gone to an Alanon meeting the week before. The meeting Monday night was small, but I was so impressed with the kindness of the people in the room. From their stories and their willingness to share, it was obvious that AA has made a difference in their lives. Each person talked about the problems they had experienced prior to involvement in AA and what the program and the AA community had given them. I am so impressed with the value when people truly follow the program. All of those attending the meeting had many years of sobriety and each person talked about what their life probably would have been like without AA and the calm they've experienced with AA. They do value continued attendance at the meetings.

Something that has struck me as a result of attending meetings is looking at my own relationship with alcohol over the years - when I drink, why I drink, who I am with, why I want to drink. My husband and I went to a party on Sunday and, on the way home, my husband asked, "Was there beer there?" I had only seen one person with a can of beer and no one, including us, was drinking alcoholic beverages. We had a great time and I realized that simply because alcohol is at a party might not be a reason to always drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment