Wednesday, June 2, 2010

5, 10, 20 years from now . . . . and my teaching theory.

One of our assignments is to identify and write about future goals. I have been thinking about this task for the past couple of weeks and about how my life has changed, largely for the good.
It is so odd that my time frame is changing as I age. Because I am older and what some might think of as "old", I no longer can consider thinking about my life 40 or 50 years from now. It is unlikely that I will be alive after either period of time. I need to have much more finite goals for a nearer future than I would have had many years ago. This does not feel so bad, however, since I generally don't feel the angst and confusion I felt long ago over the need to make the right future decisions. I've made decisions, some right and some not so right, and have lived through them. So many decisions feel like options, rather than requirements, at this point, and their is an accompanying calm.

I am excited to be in the PhD. program and am anxious to complete my doctorate in three years. There is much I still long to do and experience - and time is something of which I am just more aware.

If I finish in 3 years (or 4 or 5), then I would like to be involved in other research projects, to be writing on a regular basis and to teach a few courses on a university level. I would like to be able to supervise school counselors in some capacity and/or to provide on-going professional development to those I mentor. In 10 years, I would like to be doing the same, but to have been published or to be able to write about a topic on a regular basis for a journal. Beyond that, I just am not certain of how I will feel or where I will live. I don't know whether I will want to continue with work or not, although I hope I will.

A year and a half ago, I had the opportunity of attending the "Counselors' Tour" at the University of Miami. While there, we had dinner with Donna Shalala, the University President,who is not young, but who is still vibrant, interesting and a great leader. I also met an 82-year old professor who heads a UMiami academic department and who has incredible energy and enthusiasm. These women are two of my role models.

My Teaching Theories:

In reviewing teaching theories, I have realized that my approach to applying teaching and learning theories is no different from my approach to using counseling theories. I believe in using a theory or theories based on the presenting needs and problems and the characteristics of those with whom I work. Of the more than 50 teaching theories I reviewed (http://wwwjourneytoexcellence.org/practice/instruction/theories/;http:tip.psychology.org), several seem to drive my approach to teaching and learning. Those I use most frequently are listed below:

1. Experiential Learning - This theory by Carl Rogers states that we learn from real-world experiences that build on our prior knowledge. Robers believed that all people can learn, but that learning best occurs in a positive setting, is practical and utilizes self-assessment. This theory is aligned with the meaningfulness of activities and, to me, can be highly successful due to the level of personal involvement and the use of a multimodal approach (auditory, visual, kinesthetic).

2. Social learning theory was posited by Bandura and "emphasizes the importance of observing and modeling the behaviors, attitutdes and emotional reactions of others" (http://tip.psychology.org/bandura.html, p.1). The value of social learning is apparent in the success of peer programs, in which peers model and use appropriate behaviors.

3. Problem-based learning poses inquiries to encourage higher-level, critical thinking. When the individual is engaged in solving a problem and is able to find the solution, brain research indicates that the person is more involved and more secure learning occurs.

4. I am a strong proponent of multiple intelligences theory. Howard Gardner, the author of this theory, believes that there are "multiple" intelligences which people possess. Rather than viewing ability traditionally as "verbal" and "non-verbal," Gardner believes that people possess intelligences across a variety of realms, such as "artistic" and "social." This theory moves away from a rigid view of teaching and learning to one which can encompass a variety of approaches and which gives each equal value.

5. Collaborative learning - Collaboration, or working together, can be a valuable means of pooling the resources of many to yield a stronger result than one person might have been able to generate. In such a structure, clear guidelines with regard to roles need to be defined. One of the drawbacks of this theory is that one or two people might generate most of the work for an entire group.

Together, the above teaching approaches and learning approaches are what I choose to utilize most often in my teaching. Some may be more appropriate at specific times, but I try to focus on the theories listed above.

No comments:

Post a Comment